Even though I’m no longer in school, September to me is still ‘back to routine’. And I settle back into my routine of cooking more and bringing lunches to work right after Labor Day. But whatever I’m in the mood to make, #GiantHasIt.
I’m very much a ‘go to the store once a week’ type of person, so I make a list that includes everything I need including groceries and some other toiletries.
My perfect weekday lunch has a few key requirements:
- It needs to taste good cold or at room temperature (the communal microwaves at work freak me out).
- Easy prep, and easy clean up – lunch shouldn’t take longer to prep than dinner.
- Includes a snack -I don’t want a sad desk lunch.
- And bonus points if I’m repurposing an element from dinner – multi use sauces are the best.
I’ve been making a few different riffs of an Asian-inspired peanut sauce to use as a salad dressing, dunk chicken skewers in, and toss noodles in. But recently I discovered SunButter and I think it makes this sauce even better. It’s a little thinner and I really like the roasted flavor in this spread.
I also like to keep my lunches on the lighter side to avoid the 2pm slump that comes with eating something heavy. This Powerhouse Chicken and Veggie Sandwich is packed with tons of goodies to keep you full and make you feel good all day long.
Powerhouse Chicken and Veggie Sandwich with SunButter Dressing
This sandwich is loaded with plenty of delicious veggies to give you a days worth of nutrients and fight the 2pm slump at work. Also the SunButter dressing is great for salads, noodles, chicken, and more
- 2 Chicken Breasts seasoned with salt and pepper
- 4 Slices Dave's Killer Bread
- 1 Radish sliced
- 1/2 Cucumber sliced
- 6-8 Leaves Butter Lettuce
- 1/2 cup Carrots shredded
- 1/2 cup Purple Cabbage sliced
- 1/2 Avocado sliced
- 2 Heaping tbsp SunButter
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Chili Oil
- 1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1/2 Lime juiced
- 1 tbsp Warm Water add more if you'd like the dressing to be thinner
Prepare the chicken. In a non-stick skillet, fully cook the chicken breasts over medium heat. About 3-4 minutes per side, set aside.
Prep all the veggies for your sandwich and set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the SunButter, Soy Sauce, Chili Oil, Rice Vinegar, Lime Juice, and Warm Water. Whisk to combine and set aside.
Begin building your sandwich. The lettuce should be the bottom layer to prevent some of the other veggies from making your bread soggy. But after that, layer the veggies and chicken as you please with the heavier items on the bottom for a better balanced sandwich.
Drizzle with SunButter dressing. Slice in half and enjoy. My favorite accompaniments are Late July Chips and a Root Beer.
- Have different veggies on hand? Substitute the vegetables to your liking for the perfect sandwich.
- If you're preparing this to eat the next day, bring the SunButter dressing on the side to prevent the bread from getting soggy.
Be sure to subscribe to my blog for the latest and greatest.
While the ingredients were provided by Giant Food, all views stated here are my own.